Thursday 12 June 2014

Golf Diaries - Scotland

Some moments in life are so dear that we end up cherishing them, holding them close to our hearts, and no matter what life throws at us in our most trying times, their memory brings a smile to our faces.

A month back, my family and I had the good fortune of taking time off together for a ten day break in London and Scotland. Obsessed as I am with my golf and training, I was dying to play the courses at both places.

Golf in London did not happen and that drove me crazy. How did I compensate? I let London and its people see a ridiculously eccentric side of me, executing imaginary swings and doing shadow practice in the most unlikely of spaces...well, everywhere I went really, from hotels and restaurants to the Big Ben and the National Art Gallery!
At the National Art Gallery, London.

Scotland was next and I was really hoping I'd get to play there. It had been ten days since I had last trained and this was probably the longest I had gone without hitting a golf ball in the last two years! 

The Gods gave in as we arrived at a lovely place called Wick, in Scotland. We checked in at this awesome castle-turned-hotel-on-a-cliff-by-the-sea made only more spectacular by the fact that it was minutes away from the Wick Golf Club, the oldest established Golf Course in the highlands of Scotland!

Yes, I woke up with the Sun, despite being on vacation, and drove to the course, first thing next morning. Honestly, I was just too excited... new golf shoes, trousers and all! The manager of the course, Mr Rognald, lent me his golf clubs, and, by 10 am, I was standing on the first tee. Let me say this... the rush I got, just by standing on that tee, ready to hit my first shot was like no other! It seems ironic sometimes, that a game this slow and boring to some, can give me such a high! And here I was, finally playing, and playing really well. And nothing could beat that feeling.

The Wick Golf Course, was founded in 1870, and is a traditional 18 hole Links layout with 9 holes out and 9 back to the clubhouse. With beautifully maintained fairways and a view to die for, I had literally found my heaven on earth! For those four hours nothing else really mattered! There were all of five people on the course that day, so it felt like it was just me, my clubs, the green around me and the ocean by my side that morning! I have always had this very special bond with the water. It has given me so much, and continues to do so, even to date. And there I was, at my favourite place on the planet, with just the sound of the ocean as company and nothing else. To add to this exquisite moment, I ended up playing my best round, and shooting my lowest score ever, and all with clubs that weren't even mine!
With the Manager, Mr Rognald at Wick Golf Club, Scotland.

When I reflect on why I played so well that day - I think perhaps it was not because I was so technically correct that morning, but because I was happy! I was in love with and enjoying a game that had come as a blessing at a very trying time in my life, playing right beside the water that has always been so good to me, and enjoying the moment of being one with the game. And that's exactly why I played well! As sportsmen, we strive for results and as human beings we crave peace of mind. One can't really happen without the other and it was so evident on this very special day!

The 17th and 18th holes of this course are elevated, and you can see the ocean extending out to the horizon standing on these! So for the first nine holes you hear the sound of the ocean, and for the next nine you have the ocean itself for company.

The club’s most friendly manager and his son had a long chat with me after my round and were kind enough to invite me to stay with them and train at the course whenever I liked! All this just made my day - a special course, a special score and a very special memory!
Wick Golf Club, Scotland

I believe I am very lucky to have experienced this, and I am sure, as a reader you can feel the emotion I felt through this blog. I coach the best swimmers for a living, travel for work, play the best golf courses in these cities, and I dream of being as good a golfer as I was a swimmer someday!

I'm living a dream, and the only way I'm waking up is if pools are void of swimmers and golf courses have no greens! Now that's never happening! So I shall continue to live, love, golf, teach and stay dreaming ;)